Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Good reminder from Joel Osteen


We went to see Joel Osteen on Friday night at the BJCC - it was a "Night of Hope", and it was exactly what the doctor ordered. He had a lot of things to say, but one of the biggest things that I took away from the night was to be grateful in ALL things. When it looks the darkest, when it gets the toughest, when we are the most sad, when the hill looks the biggest, when no one seems to be on our side - THAT is exactly when to dig deep and find a way to be grateful.

Sometimes, it seems like there is nothing to possibly be grateful for, but it's really just a matter of changing perspective. There have been days where the only thing I could be grateful for is that the day only has 24 hours in it, so that I didn't have to endure the heartache I was feeling one more minute.

These days, life is pretty darn good. As my therapist keeps reminding me, I literally have everything I have ever wanted. It's easy for me to be grateful (when I remember to!): I have a husband that loves me, a baby on the way, a house to keep me safe, clothes on my back, friends that lift me up and entertain me...and so much more.

When life is this good, it's JUST as important for me to take the time to take stock of my life and NOTICE that things are so darn good. I don't want to miss it...and I might need to draw on these good times when I am struggling again. The only thing I am sure of is that life brings changes - always, and that there will always be something to be grateful for, if I remember to look. When I am in the inevitable tough spots, I can be grateful for the experience and that the circumstances are temporary, and for the relief that I know is on the way if I can hold on long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment