Monday, May 28, 2012

Thoughts on Memorial Day



Admittedly, I live in a bubble. I like life in my bubble. It's happy here. There's no conflict here...or at least none that can't be solved with a heartfelt apology and a hug. Everyone treats each other well and no one is out to cause any real harm.

I know that "real life" is nothing like my bubble. I purposely limit my time watching the news because it breaks my heart to see how badly humans treat each other. It scares me to know of the evil that is possible, and lurking...sometimes, much closer than I care to recognize.

My husband, on the other hand, lives on the outside of my bubble. He's is fully aware, and on high alert. He is in constant protection mode. It's actually one of the things I love about him. He worries enough for the both of us.

One of his favorite things to do is watch war movies, and usually, I either beg him to change the channel or go to the other room to read while he's doing it. However, this weekend, he encouraged me to watch a few with him, in honor of Memorial Day. We watched Flags of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Heartbreak Ridge. Watching those movies made me feel very blessed and caused me to reflect a lot more than I usually do about the character and sacrifices made by the military.

I truly can't imagine the courage that it took to be one of those men (or women!) that fought. I can't imagine stepping out into a battlefield, with very little hope of coming back home in one piece. I can't imagine witnessing the violence and destruction and hatred and chaos that took place in each and every one of the wars that has been fought and our being fought for this country. I can't imagine watching your friends fall, and having the bravery to get up and continue marching on towards the shots being fired at you. I can't imagine having to return to "regular life" after being a part of that, and ever being able to act normally again.

Today, I am grateful for the men and women who have that character, courage, bravery and honor. Today, I am grateful that they have risen up time and time again to protect me, my bubble, and the millions of other people that live blissfully free and unaware of what that type of conflict is truly like. Today, I am grateful that I can sit safely, in my home, and write words without fear of repercussions. Today, I am grateful that I can enjoy the company of my friends without fear of impending violence. Today, I am grateful for the fact that I can go to bed at night knowing that my family, despite being out of my arm's reach, are all safe and sound.

My prayer for today: Dear God, please keep the men and women that are serving this country safe and protected. Please provide them comfort and peace in times of fear and loneliness. Please provide them courage and bravery, when most necessary. Please let them know that they are loved, appreciated and respected, more than words could ever say. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment