Thursday, May 31, 2012

The question he shouldn't have asked on the hospital tour


We went on the tour of the hospital where we will be delivering our baby when it's "go time" in a few months on Tuesday night. There were about 40 other people in our tour group, moms in various stages of expectancy with their partners tagging along to get the lay of the land. As we waddled through the hallways, our tour guide/nurse was showing us where to park, where to check in, where to do the paperwork to pre-register, what to bring with us...all the things we would need to know on the big day.

Standing in one of the birthing suites definitely made it hit home that this is really happening. One way or another, this baby is going to come out of me, and this was the spot where it was going to happen. I looked up in panic at S, looking for comfort, and he smiled at me, and grabbed my hand to squeeze it reassuringly. He even kissed my forehead when he noticed a few minutes later that I was still pretty tense, which was very sweet of him.

The nurse took questions from the assembled crowd to cover anything she might not have covered. Other members of the group asked "How many people are allowed to be in here with us?" (Answer - as many or as few as we are comfortable with...) and "Do we need to bring anything special with us?" (Answer - only if we think we need it for comfort, but they have everything we need there...).

Everyone seemed satisfied with the information, and prepared to go. It was at that moment that I noticed a devilish grin forming on my dear husband's face. He glanced at me, then at the TV in the room, back at me, and then, to the TV in the room, and before I could stop him, he asked the nurse, "Do these TV's get the sports channels? She's due on opening weekend of football season and I don't want to miss the game!"

All of the guys in the room chuckled and smiled, but the ladies...well, let's just say, I got pitying looks. I can only imagine what they were thinking, "She's married to one of those guys." The nurse tried to laugh it off, and said she would look into that for us.

Truth be told, it's my fault. I had conversations with S about what we were going to bring to the hospital with us, and told him that we would pack his iPad and my Kindle so we had things to occupy us, but that he was NOT going to bring his X-Box. In the week leading up to the tour, S kept teasing me that he was going to ask if the hospital had their own X-Box's for dads to use "in case they get bored". I made him SWEAR that he wouldn't ask that question and embarrass me in front of the other soon-to-be parents, and reluctantly, he agreed.

So, technically, he didn't ask the forbidden question, but I guess I should have been more clear....

(Let's face it...I love him for breaking up the tension with humor! One of the many reasons I love him is that he always finds a way to make me laugh!)

2 comments:

  1. That is a man for you!! My hubby would have asked the same thing!! Good luck to you and your hubby. I listened to you for years,when you were in CT... Always had a good laugh when I listened to you. Again, good luck to you!
    One of your old listeners, Missy

    ReplyDelete