Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Excited to be at work? Or not so much....


Anyone else feel like Christmas just whirled by, and find themselves stunned to be back at work already? Well, according to most of the posts I have seen on Twitter or Facebook - a lot of my friends are pretty cranky about being back at work.

Some days, I relate. I am not always joyous or happy to come to work. When you get up for work as early as I do (4am!), it can be tough to be grateful - but the bottom line is that I GET to work. I don't HAVE to work. If I truly am that grumpy about my circumstances, it's my job to do something to change it!

So, here's where I am: I love what I do. I have been in radio for over 17 years, and it hasn't lost it's thrill yet. I have toyed with leaving to do other things along the way - but always come back to the fact that I get to do what I love every day, and that is such a gift!

I don't want to change that - so, I change the things I can. I can go to bed earlier - I can accept the fact that I WANT more sleep, and let myself go to bed earlier to get it.

More importantly, I can change my ATTITUDE about work. I don't have to work - I GET to work. Because I work, my life has amazing opportunities and blessings in it. When I come to work each day, I am stacking up more of these...every time. When I can take a moment to remember THAT, it's a lot easier to get out of my warm bed with my snuggly, cute husband still in it, and get ready to take on the day.

This morning, I actually woke up before my alarm clock! Instead of grumbling about missing out on a few extra minutes of sleep, I thanked God for the chance to get caught up on emails and news before rushing headlong into the day.

Finally, when in doubt, I try to remember that it could always be worse. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment