Saturday, December 17, 2011

Up early on a Saturday...and grateful?

What on earth am I doing up so early on a Saturday morning? Well, I am one of those "if I am up, I am up" types, so once I wake up, I am usually up for the day. So, when my eyes popped open just before 5am, I knew I was up for the day. I had two choices - I could be bitter...or I could make the best of it.

Because of my work schedule, I am pretty accustomed to not getting a lot of sleep. I get up at 4am - so to get a full 8 hours of sleep a night, I would have to go to bed at 8pm. That doesn't happen that often...

So, here it is, Saturday, and I am up when I really don't need to be. Rather than be annoyed - I decided to make the best of it. I made myself a yummy cup of tea, and some toast on the homemade bread I made yesterday in our new bread maker. I paid some bills - which had been nagging at me to take care of this week. I am working on the thank you cards for our wedding (4 months ago...don't judge me!). I am blogging. All before 7am!

Now, no matter what else I do today, I can feel pretty accomplished. Here's the kicker: I have a BUNCH else planned today...but instead of complaining about being sleepy, I can be grateful for the "extra" time I found in my schedule to take care of some of the things I've been wanting to, and some time to eat a yummy breakfast, instead of grabbing a meal bar on the way out the door.

It's been a little while since I posted a gratitude list, so here's the rest of my list for today:
- Butternut squash - I recently mustered up enough courage to try to make it, and it's delicious! Why have I been holding out for so long?
- The dogs barking - when Chelsea ran away recently, the house was way too quiet. Now, each time she barks, it's a reminder that she's home, safe and sound. (I kind of wish she would find another way to remind me...but I will stay grateful that she's safe.)
- A husband that helps - when I ask for what I need, he remembers AND does it. I do NOT take that for granted!
- Special, fancy, high thread count sheets - they were a gift, and to be honest, I never got the whole "thread count" thing...but now, I GET it. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
- Comedy specials and funny movies - it's nice to hear my husband laugh, even when things are really yucky right now.

Dear God, thanks for the extra time to connect today, and to get some things done this morning. Thank you, also, for the many other blessings in my life. I know that everything will be alright - no matter what, You have a better plan than I can even imagine. Please keep a loving and comforting arm around S, and guide us both to make good decisions going forward. Please keep an eye on the girls from St. Anne's - the holidays can be a tricky time for people in recovery. If there's a way for me to be of service to them or to anyone else, please show me and give me the gifts to do what is needed. Also, please keep a special eye on my friends and loved ones - I need each and every one of them that I have. Thank you for keeping them safe and healthy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment