Saturday, August 18, 2012

All day on the couch....

These days, I am feeling more like a beached whale than some maternal vessel. I have literally spent all day laying on the couch - which is exactly what the doctor ordered (or at least, would have, had I consulted her about exactly how I am really feeling). I am too exhausted to even sit up for too long. After a long week at work (partner on vacation, extra duties to cover since my boss got a promotion, and preparation for our radiothon this coming week), I was so wiped last night that I couldn't even muster the energy to go to have pizza at a friend's house.

Everyone keeps telling me to rest while I can, but I feel pretty guilty when I do. This week, my beloved husband has been doing some serious projects around the house: powerwashing the driveway, siding and back porch; painting all of our shudders and doors; fixing the toilet in the guest room; cleaning out the garage; installing a ceiling fan, hanging the window treatment, picking up our rocker recliner and rearranging the baby's room; and most importantly, cooking for me every time I am home. He's the one doing the nesting...I am doing the resting!

As he keeps reminding me, "eye on the prize". I know our little one is going to be here very soon (please dear GOD, let it be sooner than later), and that everything is going to be a whirlwind once that happens. In the meantime, I am hanging out, on the couch, in this holding pattern.

So, to make myself snap out of feeling guilty, I am resorting to old reliable...the gratitude list. Here goes:

Today, I am grateful for:
- The fact that I am even pregnant, with a husband that loves me. For many years, I wasn't sure this was ever going to happen.
- My incredible husband and all of his hard work to make me feel better and to make the house look so fantastic.
- Technology - my cell phone, Kindle, DirecTV, etc. I would be nuts without the distractions.
- A comfortable couch and bed - since I am spending so much time there these days, it's nice that they are comfortable.
- Friends that understand when I cancel plans because I am wiped out.
- A weekend to relax before having to go back to work next week.

Dear God, thank you for the many blessings in my life. I know that I am a very lucky woman. Please help me to remember that millions of women have gone through this before me, and that it's going to be all worth it in the end. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment