Friday, August 24, 2012

And so, we wait...

On Tuesday morning, while I was at work, I started having some serious contractions - nothing regularly, but enough to get my attention (and that of my coworkers that witnessed them). I called S to tell him that instead of meeting him at our scheduled doctor's appointment that afternoon, that it might be better for him to pick me up and drive me. The last thing I wanted was to be cruising down 31, and crash into the car next to me when I had another contraction!

At the doctor's office, we had our last ultrasound done - and it was determined that this baby was already measuring at 41+ least 8 pounds, 15 ounces. That's not too surprising since we are both kind of big people ourselves, but as the person responsible for actually birthing the child, it did get my attention.

Next, we had a "non stress test" done. (I sincerely don't know why they call it that, because I find it kind of stressful, actually.) We get to watch the baby's heartrate, and see how my contractions measured, and if the baby is affected by them. The heartrate looked good - as it turns out, this baby isn't stressed out at ALL by my contractions, probably because he or she knew that they weren't actually going to acheive his or her arrival any time soon!

Finally, we met with Dr. Brown, and after a pretty uncomfortable physical exam (which I won't detail, in case you are squeamish), she snapped off her glove, sat down and said, "Well, I don't normally do this, but I am going to recommend we schedule a c-section for next week. You'll be 39 weeks pregnant by then, which is a good benchmark for the baby's development, and I think it would be better to go in and get him or her, then to let him or her try to arrive naturally."

After a moment of letting that settle in, she started to explain why. As it turns out, the baby's head is sitting right on top of my pubic bone, and the space between that bone and my sacrum isn't big enough for the head to safely fit through. Doctor Brown said we could try to see if it would work out - but that we would risk brain damage or permanent nerve damage to the baby's shoulders, and damage to me, as well. For most people, this would probably have been shocking to hear, but as it turns out, my mother had the exact same issue...only she found it out after hours of laboring with me! They had to do an emergency c-section to get me out safely. I had informed the doctor of that on our first visit - and she had kept an eye for it all along. We were hoping that because I am significantly taller than my mom, that I would be able to do it the "regular" way, but it turns out that I am more like my mom than I realized!

So, we set on a date - next Tuesday - for the big arrival of this precious baby. Doctor Brown wanted to go Monday, but that's our first wedding anniversary, so we wanted to have seperate days, if we could. (Start laughing now, because you know what they say about the best laid plans....)

And now, we wait...

I am laying low, for the most part, which is REALLY hard for me. I have had more than one friend tell me that I am a human doing, not a human being. I like being busy, but this week, the best plan of "action" is for me to sit down or even better, lay down, and rest. Any movement brings on a contraction, and we want this baby to be fully cooked by next Tuesday. I have had many offers of help and support and prayers and love from S's fantastic family and all of our friends, which I am immensely grateful for, and this week has been spent getting our proverbial ducks in a row, as much as I can from a prone position.

Unfortunately, my side of the family is all far away, and because of a serious health issue with my dad this week while he was up in Maryland, he and my stepmom Carole will be up there when baby finally arrives. Of course, I would love for them to be here on the big day, but really, all I care about for my father is that he get better! Baby will be here waiting when Dad is finally capable of traveling. After spending most of his week in the ICU, the doctors felt confident enough to send him home yesterday with strict orders of taking it easy, and lots of follow up appointments scheduled. Carole is an excellent caretaker - and my sister has been helping to keep an eye on him,, he is in great hands.

So, we are waiting on BOTH fronts...for baby to arrive, and for Dad to heal up! We will spread the news when we have news to spread - until then, we are just waiting...and waiting...and waiting....


  1. Jeannine, I am so very happy for you that all is going well with the baby. I normally am not a proponent of C-Sections, I think they do too many of them, but.... It sounds best for you and Baby Jersey. I can't wait to see pics of the family! Prayers for your dad also!

    1. Thanks for the good wishes and the prayers!

  2. We had Ruby one day before our anniversary! It does make things a bit awkward for planning weekend getaways, but we aren't that hung up on the actual DAY of our anniversary, so it can be worked around. We think it's kind of cool to have such two important dates so close together. :)

    1. That's what we are going to have to do too! :) It is cool - as S keeps saying, at least we won't forget either of the dates!

  3. Happy thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Happy Anniversary. Praying that your dad's health gets better quickly so he can meet his newest grandchild.