Friday, January 6, 2012

A begrudingly done, and specific gratitude list

Originally, I started this blog as a way to be more diligent about doing gratitude lists - taking stock on the many blessings in my life. Even when I am having a bad day, if I pause and take stock of how things are really going (instead of my usual M.O., which is to catastrophize everything and focus solely on the negative), I can carve out at least five things that I feel grateful to have in my life.

Today, I found myself in a little bit of a snit over a situation where I felt like I was getting slighted at work. It's an ongoing situation, and I've tried to have a good attitude about it for a long time. However, lately, I just feel like it's piled up to the point where I can't help but take it personally (despite remonstrances from my boss that it's nothing personal).

Rather than fall into the trap of "they are screwing me over", I want to focus on the positive aspects of my job, specifically, right now, so I remember how lucky I truly am.

Today, at work, I feel grateful for:
- Actually having a job that brings me a paycheck. Several of my radio colleagues were let go this past week at a competing radio station, which drives home - again - that I am blessed to be employed. Hell, my husband is even in job limbo right now, while his company restructures, so he's technically not working this week.
- Having a job that rallied it's resources to support me when I was searching for my lost dog, Chelsea. That was a harrowing experience, and they did everything they could to leverage the media resources we have to spread the word about her.
- A recent decision by the bosses to return us back to being on the air from 5am to 9am - it's been fun to be back on the air from 8-9am and to connect with our listeners again.
- Having coworkers that listen to me vent when I need to.
- To have a job where no one dies if I have a bad day - I have friends that are doctors and nurses, and if they have a bad day, the consequences are serious!

OK - that helped a little. I am glad it's Friday. Ooo! I can be grateful for that, as well! I am grateful that I have a job where I have most weekends off, including this one.

Thanks for listening. I feel much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment