Friday, March 23, 2012

Getting more than what I was craving

While sitting in my studio, I had a sudden craving for Mexican food and ice cream - so, I grabbed my keys and headed to Edgewood to satisfy both.

I had a lovely lunch (with a basket of chips all to myself!), and was able to read more a few delicious pages of Anne Lamott's new book that she wrote with her son, Sam, called "Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son." Her way with words is one of the reasons I aspire to be a writer. The way she turns a phrase and bears her soul with candor, humility and humor are both qualities I admire and aspire to have one day.

After lunch, I dragged myself away from reading - the guilt from continuing to sit at the table in the restaurant without ordering anything else started to detract from the enjoyment of Anne's words. (...and yes, I just referred to her by first name...we are friends, at least in MY head.) I headed next door to the ice cream shop for a yummy treat.

Since I was the only person in the ice cream shop when I arrived, I leisurely browsed the flavors, and did some deep breathing to inhale the incredibly decadent smell of freshly baked waffle cones. I didn't realize I was doing it, but while I was browsing, I had my hand resting on my ever-expanding belly.

When I finally placed my order, the guy behind the counter smiled and asked when I was due...and then, I watched a panic set in as it occurred to him that I might not be pregnant. (When I wasn't pregnant, I did get asked from time to time, and it was always devastating for me - and horribly embarrassing for the person that had asked. For whatever reason, I take perverse pleasure in pausing for a second these days when someone asks me about being pregnant.) After a pause, I smiled and told him my due date, and we struck up a conversation that lasted over the course of my two scoops and covered everything from a crazy encounter his ex-wife had with a gun in a rental car to what we both did for a living to my pregnancy to how to get him back into the dating world. It was a great conversation - and I was grateful that I happened into his shop at a time when few others were craving ice cream. He seemed grateful to have the chance to talk. He even thanked for talking before I got up to leave.

On the way out, the only other woman in the shop (she arrived and ordered while he and I were chatting) mentioned that she had overheard me talking about being pregnant, and then, she and I had a great chat about being pregnant. As it turns out, she hasn't lived in Alabama all that long either, so she had lots to share about what is different about being pregnant in the South vs. anywhere else.

I left in the best of moods! Filling food, stimulating conversation and compelling reading - all in the span of 45 minutes. I am so grateful for the fact that the stars lined up for all of us to be where we were and also to be open to conversation.

I know that a lot of the time, I have my head buried on my iPhone - or I am so distracted by my own selfish issues that I don't take the time to savor the moments that come along like these. Do they happen every day? Nope. But COULD they? I guess there's only one way to find out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment