Monday, November 14, 2011

Instead of....


I used to be one of those people that thought the world was against me - that no matter what I did, that I would end up worse off than I started. It's a long family joke that something always goes wrong - my dad often says "Of course, _____ happened. We are the Jerseys!"

Thank goodness for gratitude! After getting in the practice of looking at life through grateful eyes, I can see that, in fact, the world is NOT conspiring against me. Instead, things are pretty darn good, if I pay attention and make a point of appreciating what I DO have, instead of focusing on what I don't.

For example, instead of grumbling about having to get up at 4am for work, instead I woke up today, grateful to have a job to get up for, and a coffee pot with a timer so that I am fully loaded with caffeine this morning.

Instead of grumbling about being tired after not getting enough sleep this weekend, I can thank God for blessing me with such a full weekend, complete with freelance opportunities, two dates with my adorable husband, and time with friends.

Instead of grumbling about how many Christmas presents we are going to need to buy, I can be thankful that we have so many friends and family in our lives.

Instead of grumbling that my husband spent several hours playing his new video game this weekend in his man cave, I can be grateful that he was at home, safe and sound, after a week of traveling for work, and that while he was playing his new game, I had time to knock out almost 2400 words on my Nanowrimo novel.

Instead of complaining about gaining weight since the wedding, I am going to be grateful that I have had good food to eat. (Now, I can also be grateful that I have a body healthy enough to do the exercise I need to do to take it back off...)

Dear God, help me to remember to be grateful instead of grumbly. Help me to be of service to "the least of yours", in whatever way You see fit. Please keep an eye on my loved ones, friends and family, and on the victims of the Penn State scandal and on the many, many people that have submitted to have a Magic Christmas Wish granted. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment