Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thoughts on the Penn State scandal from an almost alum

My heart is broken over the scandal at Penn State. It's just bad all around. I went to Penn State for 3 1/2 years - '94 to '98, and while I finished my college degree at another university, I've always had a huge soft spot in my heart for the University and had always held Joe Paterno in high regard.

First of all, I am sickened by the actions of the assistant coach - I can't even imagine the twisted mind that would ever think it's alright to behave in the manner he did with those boys. I hope he rots in whatever jail they can throw him in, and in whatever level of hell is reserved for the people that do bad things to children.

Secondly, I can't believe the spiral of silence around reporting the allegations. No one did enough in the defense of the young victims. It's not enough to tell your boss. If they won't listen, tell the police, for crying out loud! If they won't listen, tell the media! Do something until the crime stops happening. It's our job to protect innocent children, not the reputation of our football program.

Third, I hate that this is what Penn State is making headlines for, that this will be the legacy of Joe Paterno's 45 year tenure at the school, that all of the positive things about PSU are being overshadowed by the actions of one man, and the inaction of several more.

As someone once told me, the only powers we have as humans are the power of prayer and the power of example. So, I'll pray for everyone involved - the victims, the perpetrators, the investigators, the attorneys, the families, the students, and the fans - and I'll be an example, if I can. If I see or know of something that is wrong, I'll report it to whomever will listen.

What do YOU think of what happened?

No comments:

Post a Comment