Friday, November 11, 2011

The right to debate and Veterans


For the past two days, I have had an ongoing debate with one of my coworkers about the separation of church and state - we've raised our voices, cut each other off, quoted the Constitution, researched online to prove our points, walked away from each other, and rallied other coworkers to join in and choose sides.

When I step back and look at the incredible freedom we've enjoyed, I am filled with gratitude.

First of all, we are free to debate. In many countries, that would be punishable by death. We are free to question the establishment, to complain about the government, to openly question authority, to have opposing opinions. What a blessing to live in a country where that is not only allowed, but guaranteed.

To take it one step further, I am a woman - in a debate with a man, and that is still alright. I am free to work, to have an opinion, to vote, to participate in the process - other blessings that make me happy to live where I live, when I am living here. It wasn't so long ago, that in this very country even, women couldn't vote. I am glad that we can today.

We have access to information. We were free to research a vast library of information, available and unrestricted by our government. Alright, most of it was done on Google or Wikipedia...but we, at least, had access to whatever we'd like to use to back up our points.

I've done nothing to earn any of these rights. I just happened to be born in a country where this is the status quo.

Today, I am grateful for veterans - the men and women whom have bravely served, some making the ultimate sacrifice, so that we Americans can live in a country where debate can occur, without fear. We don't have to agree on the points of the debate, but we can all absolutely agree that we owe a gigantic and unrepayable debt to the veterans that have served this country so that we can debate.

Thank you, Veterans. All of you. You are real life heroes, and today, I am grateful that there are people like you that have integrity, bravery, and a willingness to serve. May God bless you and protect you, each and every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment